CALL OUR Madison Heights Violent Crime Attorneys
Standing Up for Criminally-Accused Individuals Since 1979
Madison Heights Violent Crime Lawyers
Defense for Murder, Rape, Robbery, and Aggravated Assault Charges
Generally, violent crimes result in harm to another person or involve the use or threatened use of violence against an individual. These offenses, which can be charged as misdemeanors or felonies, carry harsh penalties that include years to life imprisonment. Still, an allegation does not mean the accused will be found guilty or suffer the maximum punishments. Various defenses can be raised to challenge the accusations and pursue a favorable outcome. For instance, in some cases, overzealous law enforcement seeking to obtain evidence to help the prosecutor build a case can violate the individual’s rights, which could be grounds to have evidence deemed inadmissible. In other situations, the accused may be the victim of false accusations.
If you have been charged with a violent crime in Madison Heights, reach out to Jaffe Defense Team for the legal representation you need. Backed by over 30 years of combined legal experience and a track record of results, we know what to expect in these matters. We will vigorously defend you in and out of court. Our Madison Heights violent crime attorneys will advise you on what to say and do to prevent inadvertent incriminating statements. We will explain your charges and discuss courses of action for challenging the allegations.
What's Considered a Violent Crime in Michigan?
In Michigan, a violent crime is defined as an offense against another person involving the use or threatened use of force.
Several crimes fall under this definition, including:
- First-degree murder: The killing of another person with premeditation, by lying in wait, by administering poison, or while committing or attempting to commit a specified felony. A conviction can result in life imprisonment without parole.
- Second-degree murder: Intentionally causing another person’s death without premeditation, and the act does not meet the definition of first-degree murder. Punishments for second-degree murder include any number of years to life in prison.
- Delivery of a controlled substance resulting in death: Providing a schedule I or II drug to another person and consumption of that substance causes the individual’s or another person’s death. Penalties include a prison term of any number of years to up to life.
- Criminal sexual conduct in the first degree: Engaging in sexual penetration with a person when the victim was under 13 years of age, the actor and the victim were members of the same household, or the actor and the victim are relatives by blood or marriage, among other circumstances. The sentence upon a conviction can include imprisonment for life or any number of years.
- Criminal sexual conduct in the second degree: Engaging in sexual contact with a person when the victim was under 13 years of age, the actor and the victim were members of the same household, or the actor and the victim are related by blood or marriage, among other circumstances. The offense can be penalized by imprisonment for up to 15 years.
- Criminal sexual conduct in the third degree: Engaging in sexual penetration with a person when the victim was 13 years of age or older but under 16 years of age, the actor used force or coercion, or the actor knew that the victim was incapable of or helpless to resist, among other circumstances. Upon a condition, a court can impose a prison term not to exceed 15 years.
- Criminal sexual conduct in the fourth degree: Engaging in sexual contact with a person when the victim was 13 years of age or older but under 16 years of age, the actor used force or coercion, the actor applied physical force or violence to overcome resistance, or the actor used concealment or surprise, among other circumstances. The crime is punishable by incarceration for not more than 2 years.
- Robbery involving the use or possession of a dangerous weapon: Committing larceny when possessing a dangerous weapon or an instrument that can be used as a dangerous weapon, or when the actor claims to have a dangerous weapon. The offense is punishable by imprisonment for any number of years or up to life imprisonment. If another person suffered serious injury, the actor might be subject to a minimum of 2 years in prison.
- Carjacking: Taking another person’s vehicle by use of threats or force or causing fear in the individual. The penalties for carjacking include up to life imprisonment or any number of years in prison.
- Larceny of money or other property: Using force or violence, committing assault, or causing fear to unlawfully appropriate the money or property of another person. A conviction can lead to up to 15 years of imprisonment.
- Bank, safe, and vault robbery: Harming; threatening to harm, confine, or kill; or compelling a person to surrender the assets or contents of a bank, safe, or vault. Penalties include any term of imprisonment up to life.
- Aggravated assault: Committing assault without a deadly weapon and causing serious or aggravated injury. The offense is penalized by up to 1 year in jail.
At Jaffe Defense Team, we understand that any offense listed above can be frightening and overwhelming. That is why our Madison Heights violent crime lawyers work relentlessly to protect the rights of the accused. Learn how we can help you by calling us today.
Consult with a Violent Crime Attorney in Madison Heights
An accusation for any violent crime can be challenged. Building a compelling defense takes thorough preparation and an in-depth understanding of Michigan’s criminal justice process and the law. At Jaffe Defense Team, we have what it takes to stand up for you and can work toward an optimal result on your behalf.
Schedule Your Free Consultation
Why Turn to Jaffe Defense Team?
Discover What We Can Bring to the Table
Jaffe Defense Team
30701 Barrington Street, Suite 100
Madison Heights, MI 48071
- Monday – Friday7:00am – 5:00pm
- Saturday & Sunday Closed
Emergency service available 24/7.
Madison Heights and surrounding areas.
See Why Our Clients Say About Us
At Jaffe Defense Team, we are dedicated to your defense from the moment you call. However, you don’t have to take it from just us – see what our clients have to say about the dedicated service they received.